The ‘J’ type 10 cwt van was provided with a 1476cc, 36 bhp, side valve engine (based on the Morris Oxford car unit) and 3-speed gearbox. It was also fitted with a spiral-bevel rear axle, although after 10,472 vans had been produced this was changed for a hypoid-bevel axle. Chassis numbers, which started at 001, were prefixed by J/R or J/L indicating right- or left-hand drive. Initially vans had cable linkage for the accelerator, but this was soon changed for a rod mechanism. Another difference on early vehicles was the fitting of rectangular sidelights (as fitted to the Austin Atlantic) under the headlamps, rather than the later round Morris Minor ones. In June 1954 the engine cowling was revised, the attractive angular hinged item giving way to a more rounded, lift-off one.

Throughout its production run the ‘J’ type carried a ‘Morris~Commercial’ front grille badge and rear badge. These badges only changed to ‘Morris’ with the introduction of the overhead-valve ‘B’ series-engined J/B.

In the immediately post-war years, export sales were vital to the economy. Many ‘J’ types were supplied to export markets and were shipped as C.K.D. (Completely Knocked Down) kits for assembly at their destination.

There are details on ‘J’ types having been sold to the following countries:

Australia; Bahamas; Belgium; Burma; Canada; Ceylon; Cyprus; Colombia; Denmark; Eire; Finland; the Gold Coast; Holland; Indonesia; India; Italy; Kenya; Malaysia; Malta; Mexico; New Zealand; Nigeria; Norway; Pakistan; Perak; Rhodesia; South Africa; Sweden; Switzerland; Thailand; although many other countries must also have been targeted by the Nuffield Export staff.