Click on any photo to bring up full image.

Morris~Commercial Cars Ltd. commenced with registration in February 1924, with its registered office located in Foundry Lane, Soho, Birmingham. William Morris had acquired this factory from the receivers of E. G. Wrigley & Co Ltd., the company which had occupied the site since 1902.

E.G. Wrigley & Co had been associated with Morris for some years, as they had supplied rear axles to the Cowley works of Morris Motors Ltd. Wrigley also supplied front axles and steering box assembles to the Cowley factory, between 1913 and 1917, for fitment into White & Poppe engined ‘Bullnose’ Morris Oxfords. William Morris bought the complete assets of E. G. Wrigley & Co Ltd., and set up Morris~Commercial Cars Ltd., wholly owned by Morris himself, and dedicated to the production of commercial vehicles.

Production of a 1 ton truck commenced in the early months of 1924, the very first example of which still survives on permanent display at the Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon. Within 8 years, no less than 15 different types of vehicles were being produced at the Foundry Lane factory, covering a range from 10cwt to 50cwt, many of which were powered by the company’s own engines.

In 1932 the company moved to the former Wolseley works, at Adderley Park, and from there produced the company’s first double-deck bus – the Imperial. The C type range of commercial vehicles, announced in 1933, was very successful, but by 1937 was a little dated, and in keeping with the advances made with pressed steel bodies, the Equi-load range went into production.

During the war, the Adderley Park factory was working ‘flat out’ to support the war effort, producing military vehicles, tanks, gun platforms, transmission units for torpedoes and anti-submarine weapons. The factory also made components for Rolls-Royce Merlin and Griffin aero engines.

Post-war, M~CC introduced the popular FV type in 1949 and in that year too, the J van entered production, having first seen the light of day at the 1948 Commercial Motor Show. 1952 brought the merger with Austin, and for a short period there was no outward change, but the equi-load range was soon discontinued, and updated in the form of the LC5 and NV types – whilst the LD range of vans and ambulances, most of which utilising the famous (ex-Austin) BMC 2.2 litre 4-cylinder petrol engine, went from strength to strength.

The Morris~Commercial-designed OE range of diesel engines were made at Adderley Park from 1954, These powered many Austin/Morris trucks (and Nuffield tractors) successfully from then on.

Morris and Austin commercial vehicle badge-engineering ceased in 1968, when all commercials were marketed as BMC. This brought an end to the era of Morris~Commercial vehicles, the total number of vehicle types having been produced being an incredible eighty-five.

However, the legacy of Adderley Park designs continued to be produced for many years.